Goodbye Summer, Hello Sophomore Year!
Friends! It’s been nearly a month since I last hit “Publish” and it’s been a good month. Today I’m excited to share with you about what this summer has looked like for me, and what I’m hoping this upcoming year looks like for me!
This summer has been a CRAZY time. A summer that will probably never be paralleled. Both my siblings got married this summer. Yep! Wild. My sister, Olivia, got married in June. My brother, Aaron, got married in July–less than a month after my sister. Backtracking to May, my life was a sea of bridal showers, working two jobs (sometimes back-to-back shifts) and eagerly anticipating the feeling of ‘summer’ to arrive…it never really did! It was just one thing to the next if I’m honest. It is probably noteworthy to mention that my Mom has been living in New York to take care of my Grandma since March and her absence has been hugely impactful on this summer (however, she still managed to be at EVERY shower/wedding/wedding type event…wonder woman!!). August flew by, as it always does, but especially this year as my BFF Emma and I spent the first two weeks together in SK and then spent a week on a houseboat with Emma’s family and all our friends from college. It was an unreal ending to the most unreal summer yet…maybe, ever!
Sooooo…. this summer was a CRAZY time.
I am so lucky to have an amazing family, and amazing friends, they keep my life SO full. However, this summer was weird because nothing big happened in my life, but so many big events happened around me. I drank a lot of iced coffees, I worked, I hung out, I smashed the screen of my brand new phone, and I lived life. Meanwhile, around me, there was chaos. Yes, so much of it was beautiful chaos. In my own life, there was not a lot going on.
Compared to past summers, this was really abnormal for me. It wasn’t about me, it wasn’t about what I could get out of it. It was about supporting and celebrating… It was about being patient.
Okay, so before I forget, I also had amazing opportunities come my way this summer, and in my time of stability and unremarkable change, I was able to do awesome things. I began interning for my college in the Communications department, I began interning for Landmine Design, which grew in me a deeper passion for fashion with a story, and I worked for a magazine, and was even published in a magazine!
Summer 2017 was honestly one for the record books and I am nothing but thankful + grateful.
Going into this year, my second year of college, I feel ready. I feel ready to invest, I feel ready to work, I feel ready to take on the year with joy! I feel like this blog is more for me than anything else, and so I want to be able to look back on my summer and remember what season it was for me.
- I want to continue to learn about ethical fashion, and to use the clothing I choose to wear to bring awareness to the unfair treatment of people around the world.
- I want to focus less on meeting a measure of success, and more on cultivating a life I enjoy living.
- I want to know the names of every single person at my school!! I know this is nuts, but I love names and I think that it would be so cool to know everyone by name…Keep in mind my school is fairly small!
- I want to only drink water in the caf! And just in general, I want to up my water in take. (Isn’t that like a universal goal though?!
- I want to stay connected with all my friends at different Universities! I want to make sure I am calling them and writing to them! (That’s you Emma, Martha, Justine, Emma, and Charisa!!)… maybe even try to visit them!
- I want to be flexible…I’m not talking physically, but with life. I want to roll with the punches and get good at adjusting. Seeing as I am an RA I’m sure I’ll get lots of practice with that.
- I also want to establish boundaries for myself to protect my energy + sanity. Usually I just run until I’m way past empty. But, I need to protect myself so that I do not get to that point, because that point usually is a lot of tears and frustration.
- I want to keep up with my family better. We are literally scattered across North America in this season and I want to still be active in their lives and I want them active in mine.
** I’ve implemented a habit where as soon as I think about a person, or think about connecting or reaching out to them I do it immediately. Sending a quick text most times, or when I can giving them a quick call. It’s so much less effort to do it when you’re thinking about it then to wait until you feel like you have time!
9. I want to rest well. Having a routine and sticking to it. We’ll see how this one goes because I’m currently writing this at 2:01 AM….
10. As superficial as this can be, I want to take the time to get ready every morning. Being ready for the day, and feeling good is actually a huge way to motivate yourself and it does give you extra confidence when speaking to people and forming connections. I am totally guilty of not putting in effort on days when I feel blah, but I want to break that habit and give everyday the effort it deserves!
BONUS: 11. This isn’t really a goal, but I really really really want my bangs (and hair in general) to grow out!! Hahaha.
I’m so excited for the upcoming year. It’s going to be an amazing time of growth, opportunity, good, bad, and everything that makes life worth living. I’ll be back soon with a new post… until then, make sure you look around my site. I’ve been working on upgrading and renewing the look little by little. It’s a work in progress, but so am I.